Let me try to answer your questions. Bad reviews don't always represent the true company standing - there are always pissed off customers and according the to the real statistics 8 out of 10 customers dissatisfied customers will leave negative review and only 1 satisfied customer out of 10 will leave the positive review.
The nature of your website concept makes me think that you may need to go with the VPS hosting which is in the range of $20-40/month. When on the other hand you can host your music files elsewhere like at the CDN (like MaxCDN for example) in combination with simple Shared hosting account at $2-4/month. Then it will all come down to your visitors per day. If you will have more than 3000 visitors per day right of day one, then you probably need to look at the VPS hosting. If you will gradually grow your audience, then you can start with Shared hosting, then upgrade to the VPS later. If done correctly the upgrades are usually seamless to your audience and won't bring your site down.
Shared hosting companies: https://webhostinggeeks.com/sharedhosting.html
VPS hosting companies: https://webhostinggeeks.com/vpshosting.html
Now in regards to the properly getting your site up. You can go cheap, install wordpress, dress it up with some templates, some plugins and off you go, but really you need somebody who knows what they are doing. Successful online projects go through the following phases:
1) Concept. Document all the requirements
2) Usability. Making of the schematics of each page - what should be present and what should not be present to give your audience exactly what they need in the most simple form without any confusion to your users.
3) Design. Designer designs from the wireframes.
4) Development. Developers works off the Requirements Document, wireframes and implement the designs.
6) Go Live
7) Ongoing A/B (or Split Testing) of your revenue generating pages and optimizing them.
If you need I can provide more details of each step if you're interested.
Getting hosting for you is a simple task and not expensive at all. If you are talking about competitive music portal then you are talking few thousand dollars to develop it. Or you can always go the Wordpress route, learn and develop yourself step by step. Doing it yourself is always cheaper.
Hope this helps